Illinois  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/18/13, 7:26 pm

I am currently paying a collection agency $52/Month for a credit card that was maxed out, over my careless stupidity. The card was received in the mail and activated around the middle of 2011. About three months ago I finally called the collections agency, from where it had been turned over from capital one, I have been paying on this account for 3 months now, but I am all out of money I have no job, nothing!!! I am disabled and take so many medicines for so many health problems. I need some type of legal advice I am not one who, tries to not pay my bills I just have so many health problems it is hard for me to get an odd job here and there to make one end meet the other. I am in poor health at a young age with no assets of any kind. There must be something, I could do to get the collection agency to lay off. Please help me in any way you can

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/19/13, 4:17 am by Jonathan Shimberg

If you are received SSD, the funds form SSD are exempt from creditors. Depending on your other assets, you may be noncollectable. The only way to get the collection agency to "lay off" you is to file bankruptcy, which may be unnecessary. You could also retain an attorney who might write a letter to the agency and suppl them with the back up to your statements. This might cause them to back off, but it is unlikely.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C. 9003 Lincolnwood Drive Evanston, IL 60203

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search