Illinois  |  Credit and Debt Law

Relocation Agreement Contract

I signed a 2 yr Relocation Repayment contract with a former employer. Terms - 100% must be repaid if I left in yr 1 and 50% in yr 2. The relo amount was $60k. I left the company after 21 (of 24) months. The company is asking me to pay $30,000 for the 3 months remaining. Several facts to consider:

-I was forced (politically) by my supervisor to take the job which required me to move.

-The HR dept said that I could not have the contract reviewed by an attorney.

-I did an outstanding job during my 21 months. Was told that I was the best ever in my position.

-We were forced to move 2 weeks after my wife gave birth and lived with relatives for 9 months waiting for our house to sell. During that time, I didnít ask for reimbursement of temporary living expenses. They would have paid $25-30k for those 9 months.

-I am aware of others who have left the company without repaying. I am being singled out and discriminated against.

-I offered to remain on the job through the remaining 3 months of the contract. My offer was not accepted.

-I did not control the spending ($60k). They overpaid by 30%.

Do I have a defense? Should I negotiate? I have not been sued yet. Their attorney is threatening. Advise!