Illinois  |  Criminal Law

Do you have to testify if subpoenaed by the DA?

A friend allegedly killed his wife 2 years ago. He then ran from the police for about 2 days. In those two days he involved several of his friends, including my husband.

My husband was taken to the station for questioning, but not arrested. They threatened him that he committed a crime for aiding and abetting a fugitive although my husband did not know where this friend was. He told the police all he knew of what happened and where he thought he might be. He was also assured that he wouldn't be bothered anymore i.e. arrested.

Since then we have been threatened and our cars vandalized. Now two years later, my husband has been subpoenaed by the DA. Does he have to testify? Can he incriminate himself by testifying? Does he have to testify even though we might be putting ourselves in danger by doing so?

Is there anything we can do?