Legal Question in DUI Law in Illinois

DUI in IL with TX license

I am posting this question for a friend of mine. Just a few days ago he was stopped for speeding and was then ticketed for DUI. He blew a .137 and this is his first DUI. He holds a drivers license from Texas. He has a court date in early Feb in Maywood (he was stopped by the Berwyn P.D. The police gave him back his licensed after he was released.

Is there a way that he can avoid the 3 month suspension of his license? Can a DUI be pleaded down to a lesser offense? He is willing to pay all the fines and take the classes, but can he take the classes in Texas since that is where he lives? Furthermore, I know through research that there are many ways to ''attack'' the DUI charge. However, if he fails to win at the summary suspension hearing is that a conviction or does it then go to a trial?

Any answers to these questions would be most helpful. He knows that he needs an attorney but would like to have some answers before he retains one.

David Shestokas Shestokas, & Associates

Re: DUI in IL with TX license

There are seven possible ways to avoid the suspension from a technical legal standpoint. There are sometimes ways in which the suspension can be lifted as part of an agreement with the state's attorney on how to handle the entire case. Classes related to the sentence involved in the DUI can be completed in the driver's home state. I and my partners are former Assistant State's Attorneys and know how to handle this matter. Have your friend call us at 630-257-8280.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Illinois