Illinois  |  DUI Law

DUI in IL with TX license

I am posting this question for a friend of mine. Just a few days ago he was stopped for speeding and was then ticketed for DUI. He blew a .137 and this is his first DUI. He holds a drivers license from Texas. He has a court date in early Feb in Maywood (he was stopped by the Berwyn P.D. The police gave him back his licensed after he was released.

Is there a way that he can avoid the 3 month suspension of his license? Can a DUI be pleaded down to a lesser offense? He is willing to pay all the fines and take the classes, but can he take the classes in Texas since that is where he lives? Furthermore, I know through research that there are many ways to ''attack'' the DUI charge. However, if he fails to win at the summary suspension hearing is that a conviction or does it then go to a trial?

Any answers to these questions would be most helpful. He knows that he needs an attorney but would like to have some answers before he retains one.