Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

(735 ILCS 5/2-406) states "If a person, not a party, has an interest or title which the judgment may affect, the court, on application, shall direct such person to be made a party" My husband's ex is petitioning for college expenses for the kids. If he has to pay (even though his financials show he doesn't have the ability but she has a lawyer and we don't) it directly affects me because he has to pay the bulk of our household expenses because I make so much less than him. I have been handling everything for him legal-wise because I have a lot of experience in the family court. There is not a lot of case law in illinois on this subject. Does this apply to me or am I reading into it?

Asked on 10/31/13, 12:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I have never seen a court allow a second wife to join in as a party in a Section 513 petition. Many judges take the position that H knew he was going to have to contribute to the kids' college. There is no property that you have a right to that is affected by a 513 petition. You have to property right to his wages, so I doubt that any judge will allow you to join as a party. And not as a legal helper under English common law either

Read more
Answered on 10/31/13, 12:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now