Illinois  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/14/13, 9:41 am

My 17 year old son just moved back to his mothers home after living with me for the past 5 years. Without any warning, I received a copy of a letter from her attorney addressed to the compy I work for payroll stating to beging garnishing my wages $541 per month immediately.

In the 5 years that my son lived with me, his mother never paid a dime of any type of support. Do I have any recourse? I cannot afford an attorney at this time with all of this money being taken out of my check.

1 Answer

Answered on: 10/14/13, 9:52 am by Jonathan Shimberg

Your failure to seek support is a waiver of that right. There must be a prior support order out there or Mom went to court to obtain a current order. Check the court file for a support order. You are lucky she isn't claiming support for that 5 year period.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C. 9003 Lincolnwood Drive Evanston, IL 60203

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search