Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Can a 16 yr old in il leave an adopted parents home for birth mothers home in a different state with out any legal action being taken?

Asked on 7/01/13, 2:31 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No. The child is in the legal custody of the adoptive parents. Only if they agree can it be done. Birth mom's rights were terminated when the adoption happened. The 16 year can seek emancipation if she or he wishes, and then do what he or she wants.

Read more
7/01/13, 2:36 pm
Lela Davis Law Office of Lela J. Davis
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No. birth mother's rights were terminated when child was adopted. Adoptive parents could list child as runaway.

Read more
7/01/13, 2:53 pm
Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq. Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Additionally, birth mother could be charged with harboring a runaway, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and any other charges that may be applicable.

Read more
7/03/13, 2:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88273 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now