Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Change of venue

I originally was divorced and have custody agreements thru an Illinois

court, however I have been living with my children in Wisconsin for the past 12 years. I now get my child support thru Wisconsin, but my ex now moved back to Illinois and wants to take me to court for custody issues in Illinois. He is mentally ill and calls me to court every so often for stupid stuff. I do not want to keep going to Illinois for these stupid things that are always dismissed. How do I go about getting my custody arrangements moved to the Wisconsin courts?

Asked on 1/23/08, 3:39 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Steele Steele Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Change of venue

You have to go to the IL court and ask that it is in the parties best interest to move jurisdiction. Given these facts, it should not be too hard.

I was in a similar situation with a client, and not only did jurisdiction move easily, it cut out the harassing filings by the ex-spouse as it was too much work for them to file after that.

Read more
Answered on 1/23/08, 4:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now