Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Child Support Arrears, Illinois

We were divorced in 1982. In 2006, Illinois changed statute of limitations from 20 years to None. In 2007, my ex-wife sued me for back child support payments (6/84 thru 4/87) plus interest. My ex won. While the judge was ruling, she asked my lawyer if she had filed a laches defense. My lawyer answered yes. The judge then said it did not apply but then said, ''the statute of limitations would have''. I have called my lawyer three times to ask what that meant, but have received no reply. Did my lawyer make a mistake by not filing a statute of limitations defense? She won't answer me. What is going on? Can I reopen the case if my lawyer erred?

John Steele Steele Law Firm

Re: Child Support Arrears, Illinois

Not normally, but you can sue your attorney for malpractice to cover any amount you are ordered to pay. It sounds like your attorney screwed up and is hiding it from you. BUT, I do not know the whole case, so do not hold me to that.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois