Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

Child Support Arrears, Illinois

We were divorced in 1982. In 2006, Illinois changed statute of limitations from 20 years to None. In 2007, my ex-wife sued me for back child support payments (6/84 thru 4/87) plus interest. My ex won. While the judge was ruling, she asked my lawyer if she had filed a laches defense. My lawyer answered yes. The judge then said it did not apply but then said, ''the statute of limitations would have''. I have called my lawyer three times to ask what that meant, but have received no reply. Did my lawyer make a mistake by not filing a statute of limitations defense? She won't answer me. What is going on? Can I reopen the case if my lawyer erred?

Asked on 3/14/08, 7:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Steele Steele Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child Support Arrears, Illinois

Not normally, but you can sue your attorney for malpractice to cover any amount you are ordered to pay. It sounds like your attorney screwed up and is hiding it from you. BUT, I do not know the whole case, so do not hold me to that.

Read more
Answered on 3/14/08, 7:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now