Illinois  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/15/13, 1:35 pm

Went to divorce court today, first hearing. Married approx. 22 years, 2 grown kids and I was sole provider. Wife left approx. 1 year ago and stole everything out of house. I am barely making my bills. Court ordered 225.00 week maintenance, I need to pay storage for things she stole and they want to sell house and split profit (no profit in todays market). Wife moved out of state and didn't show up even though my attorney requested she be there. Want to know penalty for non payment of maintenance ordered by court and possible options.

1 Answer

Answered on: 10/15/13, 2:11 pm by Jonathan Shimberg

Jail. If you are ordered to pay and you are found to have the ability to pat, the only choice is for the court to find you in indirect civil contempt and put you in jail. But if there was a Rule 237 Notice to Appear and you wife did not appear, and your attorney demanded a hearing, the court should not have entered any order.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C. 9003 Lincolnwood Drive Evanston, IL 60203

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search