Illinois  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/25/13, 9:04 am

Good morning,

I am a 39 year old woman living in Illinois. I have a daughter, 18, currently in college in Indiana. I was diagnosed with cancer 7 years ago but it has returned. I have not told my daughter yet but about the cancer as I don't want her to worry about me. I would like to give legal custody of my daughter to my mother in the state of Mississippi as I don't want her to watch me deteriorate. My mother is retired with a fixed income and can not afford to pay any portion of my daughter tuition. My daughter will incur the cost of her education through financial aid, loans and work study. I spoke with the Admissions Department at Mississippi State University and explained my situation. I was informed that I have to provide legal guardianship documentation to the Admissions Office as not to incur an additional out of state fee. The state of Illinois considers my daughter an adult. My daughter is not disabled. I can not find any information on the adult guardianship process for individuals that are not disabled in Illinois. Please help I heard that this is a lengthy process would like to get this and my will situated ASAP.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search