Illinois  |  Family Law

Ex husband is giving son medication

My 13 yr old son has been on ADHD medication since he was 7yrs old. He has recently been not taking it because he has been ''out of it'' all the time. Then my ex husband put him back on it without my permission. Is this legal?? We even went to the doctor together and he said he could not prescribe anything else for him if we didn't agree.

He has been giving him what had filled the last month he wasn't on it. What should I do?

Answered on: 2/25/09, 12:46 pm by Motty Stone

Re: Ex husband is giving son medication

Who has custody of the boy... is there joint custody or does one of you have sole custody?

If you have sole custody, then you make the decisions about this sort of thing. If you have joint custody, then you and the father are supposed to make these decisions together. Without more to go on, its hard for me to advise you, but depending on the circumstances you could go to Court to try to force the father to stop giving your son the medication.

Law Offices of Motty Stone 6207 N Sacramento Ave Chicago, IL 60659