Illinois  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/24/13, 4:56 pm

I currently live in Illinois with my 17 year old daughter. I am planning to relocate to Reno Nevada at the end of October. My daughter wants to make this move with question....I have been separated from her mother since Feb 2005 when she moved out of the family home. She had been living in Myrtle Beach SC for the past year and has just moved back this last week. Will my daughter be able to make this move with me without her estranged mother interfering? What steps should I take at this time?

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/24/13, 5:17 pm by Jonathan Shimberg

Legally if there is no case filed between the two of you, then there is not restriction on you leaving the state. However, if you were never married, is there anything that declares you to be Dad. If there is nothing, then you may not have the right to take her. If there was a court order declaring you the father, then you need a court order to take her out of state. There is also the reality that most courts will let a 17 year old go where she wants.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C. 9003 Lincolnwood Drive Evanston, IL 60203

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search