Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

My sister is 36 years old and in an abusive relationship. Recently he has showed signs of schizophrenia. It has gone too far. My mother has asked the police to check on her. And they did but she only told them she is fine. She doesn't want to get him in trouble but he needs help. She is being held hostage there. And he has stripped her of her rights. How can family legally help her?

Asked on 10/15/13, 6:50 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If your sister refuses help, she is an adult and that is her choice. You may need to get a professional involved if you want to get her some help -- from what you say she doesn't want to "get him in trouble" but what that says to me is that she doesn't understand that he IS in trouble and if in fact he is a diagnosed schizophrenic not doing something could have much worse consequences.

Read more
Answered on 10/18/13, 1:54 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now