Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

My sister is 36 years old and in an abusive relationship. Recently he has showed signs of schizophrenia. It has gone too far. My mother has asked the police to check on her. And they did but she only told them she is fine. She doesn't want to get him in trouble but he needs help. She is being held hostage there. And he has stripped her of her rights. How can family legally help her?

If your sister refuses help, she is an adult and that is her choice. You may need to get a professional involved if you want to get her some help -- from what you say she doesn't want to "get him in trouble" but what that says to me is that she doesn't understand that he IS in trouble and if in fact he is a diagnosed schizophrenic not doing something could have much worse consequences.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois