Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

my son is 18 and has a baby by a 17 year old. when baby was born he signed the birth certificate. The mother is now saying he cant see the baby. what rights does he have

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.

He signed a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity. He now has the right to file a Petition seeking visitation and then will be ordered to pay child support. However I am not sure a minor (such as your son) can be held to a VAP. But in any event he has get an order for visitation if he can show it us in the child's best interest to see him. There is no presumption that he is entitled to visitation.

Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq. Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis

There is, however, a presumption that it is in a child's best interests to have two actively involved parents. It would be very unusual that a parent would be denied visitation.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois