Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

My son will be 9 in a few days his father has never really been a part of his life he has not seen him or talked to him in 5 years. How do I get his name changed and get his father off the birth certificate?

Asked on 8/06/13, 11:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If Dad is on the birth certificate, absent an adoption, you can not get him off the birth certificate. In addition, as a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity was signed, it is the same with his name. Dad is entitled to notice of any request to change the child's name. He has lived with that name for 9 years. What reason, other than an absent father, justifies the name change. A court may not feel that is sufficient.

Read more
Answered on 8/07/13, 4:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now