Illinois  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/25/13, 5:56 am

My wife and I had talked about a divorce , when things turned worse and she was diagnosed with lung cancer. We were only married about a year and a half , she had given her son power of attorney of her affairs. Due to financial problems , mental stress , I couldn't deal with it all , and moved out of of state . She recently passed away , and I requested copies of her death certificate,,which under surviving spouse/relative ,, says divorced of marriage. We were still married , I have searched online for divorce records to validate this with no results. Never signed any papers or was notified of a divorce . Can this be legally done with out my agreeing to divorce ,, we lived apart for almost 7 months , before her passing away. Does this effect me on spouse benefit's threw social security and death benefits of spouse ?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search