Legal Question in Family Law in Illinois

...My ex wife's lawyer put a no dispense order on my taxes even after we're divorced. I was not even informed. She had signed the paper to allow me to claim the kids as dependents & also had made me agree to sign a paper to give her $500 with a official notary after the no dispense order was put in. Now she doesnt want the $500 she wants half using the no dispense order. Is this legal? Can they enforce the no dispense order since she made the 2nd aggreement for $500?

Jonathan Shimberg SHIMBERG and CROHN, P.C.

I have no idea what a "no dispense" order is. In 39 years of practise I have never heard such a term. A private attorney can put a "no disburse" order on taxes, the only entities that can get to a tax refund is the State Attorney through and HFS set off. So it is difficult to respond and advise you regarding such an order.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Illinois