Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Illinois

Trailer purchased from an individual

I bought a camping trailer from an individual. The amount of the sale was $600.00. The person had just moved from another state and said they would produce a title. I paid them $300.00, we both signed a paper saying that I would pay the balance of $300.00 when we received the title. The person said it would be no problem to get the title, but they hadn't unpacked it yet. A few days later they said that they can't find the title and that they have to go back to the state where the title was issued to apply for a new title. The problem is they keep giving me the runaround about how they don't have time to go back. In the meantime I have spend a considerable amount of money to fix up this trailer, and I can't seem to get them to finish their end of the deal. Is there anything that I can do?

Peter Ordower Law Office of Peter Ordower

Re: Trailer purchased from an individual

Although it's a hassle, you might want to contact the Secretary of State or Dept. of Motor Vehicles where title was recorded, and ask them to send you the forms for replacing a lost title and transferring title. Give those to the seller, and he has no more excuse to delay signing them and sending them in.

Mary McDonagh McDonagh-Faherty Law Offices

Seller can do all this by mail and does not need to return there. Call State Dept of Motor Vehicles and find out whether he has begun the process. He has no excuses!

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Illinois

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms