Legal Question in Health Care Law in Illinois

my husband and I were both issued a summons to appear in court over a pediatrician bill of $2000. we did not even know this bill existed, and were never informed by the billing office that we were being turned into collections and being charged collection fees. the billing office just kept renewing our account without a word about the collections, even though on 2 separate occasions, I had to ask for a current bill as we were not receiving any. the bills I have do not show any past due amounts or any collections notices. ive requested a detailed bill which is 'foreign' to me, but do think we owe the money, but have no idea how we ended up having to go to court. my question is, we are a 4 person family on a single income and cannot afford for my husband to miss work for this, can I go to court for he both of us or will he get into trouble for not showing up? thanks for any help/advice you can give. janet

Chen Kasher Chen Kasher

Which court is it? Small claims? What name(s) is on the summons?

They may have violated debt collection laws by their actions. I'd talk to a good attorney and have all of your documentation handy. If this is a good case, that attorney may be able to obtain fees for defending you.

Chenkasher@gmail.com

chenkasherlaw.vpweb.com

(773) 853-3062

More Health Care Law questions and answers in Illinois

Health Care Law Legal Forms