Legal Question in Immigration Law in Illinois

I'm applying to get my fiance to the US on a K1 Visa (Form 129F). If this is approved can we have an unofficial church wedding in Indonesia before coming back to the US to officially marry? Could this jeopardize her ability to enter the US?

Asked on 11/01/13, 5:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I don't see that a non-solemnized (unofficial, not legally binding) "ceremony" would jeopardize the K-1. As long as you are not legally married anywhere else in the world, you can enter as a fiance in the U.S.. You must marry within 90 days of arrival & file the adjustment of status "package" immediately after that. Feel free to contact my office if you have any questions.

Read more
Answered on 11/04/13, 9:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now