Legal Question in Insurance Law in Illinois

ajudication

I'm a chiropractor that had my lien adjudicated. What does that mean? What recourse do I have?

Timothy Lowery Lowery & Associates, LLC

Re: ajudication

Liens are frequently adjudicated by courts when a party wants to pay or settle a claim against someone, but knows you have asserted a lien on the settlement proceeds. You should have reeived notice as to when the court adjudicated the amount of your lien. Your options from here will depend on the particular facts of youer case.

Matthew Belcher Belcher Law Office

Re: ajudication

Dear Doctor:

This website is primarily directed to people who cannot afford to consult with an attorney for their legal "problem" or do not know where/how to start the process of hiring an attorney.

As a professional, and a licensed physician, you would be better served by hiring another licensed professional and paying them for their legal advice.

In the meantime, the "Health Care Services Lien Act"(770 ILCS 23/et seq) is available online for your review. If you send out liens to people you should probably understand what you are doing and who/what you are "liening".

However my brother is a chiropractor and I understand that some are financially secure than others...so to try and provide you with some complimentary direction, I would suggest to you that while your "lien" on the proceeds of a lawsuit may have been adjudicated - that adjudication does NOT alter the "balance due" on the bill for the services you have rendered.

It just/only reduces the "lien".

You can still collect for your full medical fees assuming the charges are fair and reasonable, etc.

Whomever adjudicated your lien could/should be apprised of the fact that you do not consider that "adjudicated" payment amount to constitute "payment in full".

You should/could also advise the attorney that you intend to collect the balance due from the client.

Good luck (and go hire a lawyer).

Matt Belcher

More Insurance Law questions and answers in Illinois

Insurance Law Legal Forms