Legal Question in Intellectual Property in Illinois

As of 2013/05/31 06:47 CST my LOC Copyright application was approved by eMail stating I'll will receive the registration certificate in the mail.

If someone has downloaded my copyrighted website material prior to this registration, then what is my remedy now that the LOC is sending me my registrtion number?

Bruce Burdick Burdick Law Firm

Your remedy is a civil suit at the US District Court for your jurisdiction, which from your listed zip code is the USDC-IL-N. http://www.ilnd.uscourts.gov/

Address: 219 S Dearborn St, Chicago, IL 60604

Phone:(312) 435-5670

Hours: Wednesday hours 8:30 am–4:30 pm

If you applied for registration within 3 months of first publication, you are likely entitled to statutory damages of $750-$150,000 plus attorney fees and expenses. Note that, when issued, a copyright registration is dated as of the date you applied, not the date it is approved or when you receive the certificate.

Before filing suit, you will want to send a settlement demand letter. There are contingent fee lawyers - one of the best known is in Chicago - that take these cases, although they prefer cases of massively downloaded illegal torrents.

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in Illinois

Intellectual Property Legal Forms