Illinois  |  Intellectual Property

I have been accused of and sent a summons for copyright infringement because I downloaded a couple of videos to my computer from a website that I have a subscription to and that authorizes downloads? They are now claiming that I pirated their videos. Can someone please help?

Answered on: 2/29/12, 7:12 am by Bruce Burdick

This is a shakedown operation from a contingent fee firm. You did not say what movie. Last year these were coming from the attorneys for "Hurt Locker". This year, due to the success "Hurt Locker" had, they are coming from several firms on several movies. BS to your explanation. You are likely knowingly downloading copyrighted material. However, I defend these routinely. There is a process to fighting these off. It depends largely on what type of settlement they are demanding. We charge $200-$400 for these copyright extortion letter defenses. Call and I can help you. 618-462-3450 You probably should NOT just ignore the letter as they routinely escalate until you respond and you may soon be sued if you do nothing.

Burdick Law Firm 3832 Omega Street. Alton, IL 62002-2100