Illinois  |  Employment Law

I was recently on medical leave for apx 4 months. I received FMLA and short term disability pay while on leave. Upon returning to work my employer raised my dental and medical premiums over 400% without any notice or authorization. When I questioned the additional deductions I was told that insurance premiums were not withheld from my short term disability pay and they were "catching up" on premiums. The net result of their "catching up" is OVER $700.00 SHORTAGE OF MY NET PAY. IS THIS LEGAL? WHO will pay my mortgage this month? I suspect there is more missing funds resulting from the switch to disability benifits and back to normal payroll. My wife and I are still trying to figure out how the transition check (disability pay week overlapped payroll cycle) was several hundred short itself. This is in ADDITION to the $700.00 plus in additional deductions.

Do I have any recourse or do I just refer the mortgage company to my employer's accounting department?

Please help.

Dave