Legal Question in Employment Law in Illinois

I have been a union member for UFCW for over 20 years. I work for Jewel-Osco where the Jewel side is union and the Osco side is not. This is not the case throughout the entire company. Only approximately 8 - 10 Osco's are non-union. My employer as well as my union have recently decided that my position in HR would be shared with both Jewel and Osco. I feel that my union is not representing myself and others in our best interest forcing us to cross union lines and provide service to the non-union entity. Can I hold my union responsible for this injustice?

Betty Tsamis Tsamis Law Firm PC

I believe the answer is found in the applicable collective bargaining agreement. Also, is your issue that the terms and conditions of YOUR employment will not be subject to the CBA, or is it that you do not want to provide HR service to employees that are not union members?

There are many national companies with some operations covered by CBA's and others not. I have advised companies in which HR served both union and mon-union employees so given your role in HR, I do not think the reassignment is per se illegal or unusual.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Illinois

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms

Terry A. NelsonNelson & LawlessRiverside, San Bernardino & LA, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA