Legal Question in Legal Ethics in Illinois

I am on the board of directors of a co operative of homes. the president of our board has just retained the same attny for his personal business as our board has had for many years. our president is in conflict with the rest of the board over most matters, and this attny is a close friend of his (they have lunch at least 4 times a month). what stops them from discussing "co op" business? conflict of interest?

Chen Kasher Chen Kasher

The Illinois Rules of Professional Conduct impose a duty of confidentiality: "(a) A lawyer shall not reveal information relating to the representation of a client unless the client gives informed consent, the disclosure is impliedly authorized in order to carry out the representation, or the disclosure is permitted by paragraph (b) or required by paragraph (c)."

He may also be in violation of the conflict of interest rule, depending on the circumstances of the case.

chenkasher@gmail.com

(773) 853-3062

chenkasherlaw.vpweb.com

Disclaimer: I am not your attorney and this general advice may not be applicable to your factual situation.

More Legal Ethics & Professional Responsibility questions and answers in Illinois