Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

building foreclosure

i'm a tenant living in a building for 3 years and i just found out that the landlord has not been paying the mortgage, the building is going into foreclosure also their is no heat or hotwater what should i do???

Asked on 5/18/09, 6:33 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Walter Palmer Law Office of Walter Palmer
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: building foreclosure

You might contact the mortgage company - you should know who they are - explain what is going on.

You have the right to live in the building until evicted and the mortgage company has the right to have a receiver appointed to collect the rents. Together, that might get you what you want, at least for a while because you have more leverage against a high profile company than a missing landlord.

I suggest that you call 311 and complain about the utilities.

There is a Help Desk for Landlord-Tenant problems in room 602 of the Daley Center.

Read more
Answered on 5/18/09, 7:08 pm
Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: building foreclosure

You should contact the mortgage company and see ehst they have to say. Theyt may actually have an assignment of rent form alread ysigned by the landlord.

Personally, I would move asap after sending a certified letter stating that the premises are inhabitable. Regardless, from a p ractical stnadpoint, the chances are that the landlord does not have your security deposit funds anymore if he hasn't paid the moprtgage or the utilities, so I would not count on receiving that back.

Read more
Answered on 5/18/09, 8:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now