Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

building foreclosure

i'm a tenant living in a building for 3 years and i just found out that the landlord has not been paying the mortgage, the building is going into foreclosure also their is no heat or hotwater what should i do???

Walter Palmer Law Office of Walter Palmer

Re: building foreclosure

You might contact the mortgage company - you should know who they are - explain what is going on.

You have the right to live in the building until evicted and the mortgage company has the right to have a receiver appointed to collect the rents. Together, that might get you what you want, at least for a while because you have more leverage against a high profile company than a missing landlord.

I suggest that you call 311 and complain about the utilities.

There is a Help Desk for Landlord-Tenant problems in room 602 of the Daley Center.

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

Re: building foreclosure

You should contact the mortgage company and see ehst they have to say. Theyt may actually have an assignment of rent form alread ysigned by the landlord.

Personally, I would move asap after sending a certified letter stating that the premises are inhabitable. Regardless, from a p ractical stnadpoint, the chances are that the landlord does not have your security deposit funds anymore if he hasn't paid the moprtgage or the utilities, so I would not count on receiving that back.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois