Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

my grandfather has two properties in chicago. now he is dead from many years. all of his children are dead too except one. i am his grandson, and i'm wondering how this properties are inherited.

(currently not living in the US) are there any steps we (his grandsons) can do to make this properties, our property ?

Asked on 9/18/13, 2:55 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Henry Repay Law Offices of Henry Repay
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

This needs to be addressed as it is only going to become more complicated to sort out as the ownership continues to divide. You do not mention a will or the number of children and descendants of deceased children. Since some time has passed, a real estate attorney may be able to address the issues through a title company, but the question is whether cooperation can be expected. If not, then a probate case will likely be necessary. Assuming each child had rights, imagine how many owners there may be if this passes through another generation.

Read more
Answered on 9/18/13, 4:49 pm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Wow. If nothing's been done this could be a real mess. First you have to find out exactly how he owned the properties -- in his name (alone, with others as joint tenants or partners...), in a trust, corporation, what? Then you need to figure out what was supposed to happen when he passed away. How he owned them will tell you a lot, but not everything, especially if he left a will! The best way to start is to order title insurance commitments on the properties and they will show you how they are owned today. Probate may be required; it is all too soon to tell.

Read more
Answered on 9/18/13, 8:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now