Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Illinois

Living in one state and being paid in another

My company has asked me to move from IL to GA on a permanent basis. I have been consulting to a client in GA for the past 3 years, living in a hotel for 2 years and then an apartment. I typically travel to Atlanta on Monday and return home on Thursday. I own a home in IL and that is my address for tax with holding, etc. I pay property taxes on a ''homestead'' basis in IL, and receive a property tax cxredit on my IL State Income Tax. The company is now demanding that I provide a permanent address in GA (even before I actually relocate to GA) and have taxes with held in GA instead of IL. I plan to sell my current home and move to GA, however, with the current market conditions, the home may not sell for a considerable period of time. I know that I will lose the IL property tax credit this year($700) if my State taxes are with held in GA. Do I also run the risk of losing my homestead exemption?

Asked on 5/21/09, 9:06 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Living in one state and being paid in another

Great question. I dont know the answer. If someone does answer this one for you, please send me a copy of the answer. You might try contacting the Illinois Department of Revenue.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 5/21/09, 9:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now