Legal Question in Traffic Law in Illinois

traffic tickets or obstruction of justice?

my 17 yr old son was given 3 traffic tickets.he was in a car with 5 other teens.the driver got out and told my son to get behind the wheel when they saw the police.none of the teens had a license.my son did. he recieved 3 tickets.he lied to the police and said he was driving because he didnt think any tickets would be issued. he didnt know at that time ,no one in the car had a license. now he is upset he got the tickets. he went to the police station and told them the story and they said you either take the tickets or get a felony for obstruction of justice. he is upset that he was so stupid to get in the drivers seat. the tickets are for reckless driving-unrestrined child and to many people in car. my son will loose his license if he has to take the tickets. he has had 2 speeding tickets in the past. the police followed up on my sons info and went to the teens house,the real driver,and the teen said my son was driving. .my son did not know the circumstances for lieing to police.he has to go to court soon and i need advise on what he should do. 2 witnesses said he was not driving,2 said he was.these friends of his apparently arent going to take the rap and confess. there were 6 kids in the car.plese help

George Zuganelis Zuganelis & Zuganelis, Attorneys at Law, P.C.

Re: traffic tickets or obstruction of justice?

Hire a lawyer fast.

Charles Dobra Charles Wm. Dobra, Ltd.

You live in the Saint Charles, IL area judging from your zip code. So, I am very near to you, and the Kane County Courthouse. Whether you hire me, or another lawyer, I would suggest that you hire an attorney sooner than later. This is a most serious matter, not to be ignored, or, in my opinion, handled "pro-se".

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Illinois