Illinois  |  Wills and Trusts

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/09/13, 10:16 pm

My aunt passed away in Illinois. She was hospitalized for a few months before and therefor owed rent to her landlord. He states he now has a lein on her property and has started giving things away and taking things out of the home. She left no will and had estranged herself from the family due to mental issues. We would like to obtain personal items from her home that belonged to our grandparents but he states everything is his. Nothing has even be inventoried and there is no executor yet and no debts have been settled. Is there anything I can do before he gets rid of our family heirlooms?

1 Answer

Answered on: 7/10/13, 4:48 am by Sue Roberts-Kurpis, Esq.

Contact police and file a theft report. Also you need to open a Probate Estate and get an administrator appointed to deal with your Aunt's possessions. Serve a Cease and Desist notice on the landlord.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of Sue Roberts-Kurpis 3845 West 58th Place Chicago, IL 60629

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search