Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Illinois

My brother bought a life insurance policy for his children and put a trusted friend as beneficiary because children were minors. He had a straoke and never changed the beneficiary. Everyone knows this money was for his children. Well he kept all the money and will not give his children anything. Can my brothers children sue him. There are many people who will testify to this.

Asked on 8/14/13, 7:17 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Chen Kasher Chen Kasher
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Beneficiary disputes to life insurance claims are common in the context of divorce, where spouses will argue a divorce did not end their beneficiary. They are less common in the context you describe, but still doable.

There are a variety of ways to challenge the trusted friend's beneficiary status. The first will be that he did not have the proper interest to be the beneficiary. The law prohibits people from "gambling" on others' lives.

The children may be able to prevail, but it will require a lawsuit.

[email protected]

(773) 853-3062

Read more
Answered on 8/15/13, 6:19 am
Jeffrey R. Gottlieb Law Offices of Robert H. Glorch
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

This is one of the worst planning options that people use too frequently. The children, or their guardian, should seek counsel. Possibly they can argue that there was an oral trust between decedent and trusted friend.

Read more
Answered on 8/16/13, 11:18 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Illinois

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now