Legal Question in Workers Comp in Illinois

I've had a workman's comp. case going for about 2 years. My neck was injured from another employee running in to me and knocking me down. My lawyer really did nothing with it until a couple months ago. He called saying he couldn't do much with it, but the workman's comp. insurance would pay a little more than $6000 in settlement. Now I received a letter that he had been talking to the doctor that referred me to him.??He says he has to pay the doctor $6000 of that in bills he wasn't paid 2 years ago? I questioned him on it, and the doctor never billed workman's comp., nor my insurance for whom he is a provider.I also have never received a bill. He originally said I was not responsible for workmans comp. bills. Now it sounds like he is splitting it with this doctor. This does not sound legal or ethical. What can I do?

Nima Taradji Taradji Law Offices

That does not make sense. You should make an appointment with your lawyer and go have a seat down with him and ask detailed questions as to what is what. It is strange that the doctor did not bill the WC insurer. It is not strange for the doctor not to submit bills to health insurance since he gets paid a lower rate than if he simply claims an amount from the settlement--although there may be restrictions on this for a WC claim.

If you are uncomfortable with this lawyer, you can request a copy of your file and all the paperwork in it and take it to another attorney for a review-then you may get a clear idea as to whats what.

I hope this helps-

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Illinois

Workers' Compensation Law Legal Forms