Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Indiana

If I owe back taxes to the IRS and file Chapter 13 ..before I file taxes this year...will I be able to keep this years refund if will the trustee take it

Asked on 12/31/11, 7:02 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gregory Coleman Coleman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you owe taxes, the IRS will take it. If you file BK before you file your taxes, sometimes the IRS still takes it and applies it. If not, then typically you have to give up at least 1/2 your return.

Question... how old are the taxes you currently owe? Sometimes those can be discharged in the bankruptcy...

Read more
Answered on 1/12/12, 4:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Indiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now