Indiana  |  Business Law

My dad owns a 50 acre farm and my husband and I have been married for 10 years BUT my dad is the "What if" type and thinks the worst. We are wanting to build on an acre of the farm, my dad has an issue with this thinking if we do get divorced then my husband could force me to sell the land and the house in the event we cannot come to an agreement with me keeping the house. Is there anyway to put into a document signed by us to cover my dads land not being sold? Im trying to convince dad that the land would be covered just in case.

Answered on: 11/12/13, 5:11 pm by Kenneth Wilk

Yes, an agreement could be drafted by an attorney to cover all of these issues. It would probably take an attorney who deals in matrimonial/family issues, because the agreement would be a post-nuptial contract between you and your husband, as to what his rights would be in the event of a marital dissolution.

Rubino Ruman Crosmer & Polen 275 Joliet Street, Suite 330 Dyer, IN 46311