Legal Question in Construction Law in Indiana

I hired a contractor to build a new garage. The primary contractor subcontracted the overhead door installation out to another company. At the completion of the job, I paid the primary contractor in-full. Year after the completion of the job, I received a letter from the door subcontracted, stating that the primary contractor ever paid for the overhead door installation. The letter stated that since the primary contractor ever paid for the overhead door installation, I was responsible to cover the unpaid bill.

Under Indiana law, am I responsible to pay the subcontractor after paying the primary contractor?

Kenneth Wilk Rubino Ruman Crosmer & Polen

You may have a defense if you paid the primary contractor in full. However, this is not a do-it-yourself situation. If you receive any further contact from the subcontractor, by letter or suit or otherwise, turn it over to an attorney for proper handling.

More Construction Law questions and answers in Indiana

Construction Law Legal Forms