Legal Question in Family Law in Indiana

I have a 12 year old daughter. Her biological father has requested my fiancee adopt her. He has seen her one time in 12 years. My fiancee and I are in agreement about doing the adoption. My question is, do we have to be married before the adoption can occur, and if so, is there a waiting period after the marriage? We have been together for 10 years and have two younger children together. We currently live together and are planning a wedding. Due to my daughter's biological father, we want to do the adoption sooner rather than later.

Asked on 4/09/13, 7:24 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, you have to be married for this adoption to occur.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/13, 5:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Indiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now