Legal Question in Family Law in Indiana

I found out when I was 22 that the man who was on my birth certificate and who raise me, was not my biological father. I am 40 years old now. I had my daughter out of wedlock when I was 32 and have been raising her by myself. Her biological father is not on her birth certificate, does not pay child support and has never met her. Just Recently I found out that my Step Mother and my Step Sister have been in contact with my daughters biological father and sharing information with him. In my opinion he has no right to this information and the act of my stepmother and step sister are despicable. I have denied access, of my daughter, to both women, which in turn has infuriated my Dad, who, technically, is no blood relation. I have allowed him supervised visitation with my daughter but, in his eyes, is not good enough. He wants unsupervised visitation and wants my daughter to have a relationship with my Step Mother and my Step Sister and is complete denial about what they have done. Now my Dad is threatening to sue for Grandparents rights in the State of Indiana. Does he have a shot at winning? My daughter is a straight "A" student, has been involved in gymnastics since whe was 2-years-old and has a really good shot at making the team this year. I have never been accused of being an unfit parent and am very protective and involved with every aspect of my daughters life. It is probably worth mentioning that my Dad and my Stepmom live in Floriada 6 months out of the year and really don't have any meaningful contact with my daughter during that time. My Dad is hard of hearing and requires a translator to even have a conversation with my daughter because he can't understand what she is saying.

Asked on 4/26/13, 12:51 pm

2 Answer from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes, he has a shot, but not a good one.

Read more
Answered on 5/01/13, 9:07 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Indiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now