Legal Question in Family Law in Indiana

Is it legal for my step father to remove all money from their joint account when he does not have power of attorney over my mother? He says he did it "because he is going to pay all the bills". Mother is 82 and on oxygen. He did not ask anyone before doing this, not even my mother. He is showing signs of greed as he has taken her off his life insurance and started "hoarding" all their money. Is there any way our mother could get half of what she has earned beside getting a divorce from him? We are having a hard time watching him treat her like she has already passed away. He is also determined to give everything to his 2 daughters and mothers children are to get nothing. They have been married over 30 years.

Asked on 10/24/13, 9:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Generally speaking, if the property is owned jointly, he can do as he pleases. However, contact a local attorney as there is a possibility that you may be able to assert a constructive trust on the belongings, depending upon all of the circumstances.

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 10:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Indiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now