Iowa  |  Administrative Law

I am a salaried convenience store manager. Our normal schedule is 7 am to 5 pm with Sundays off and we are on call 24 hours a day for emergencies. In a recent meeting we were told that we will now be required to work one evening shift a week which means that we will have to work a 2 pm to 12 am shift followed by a 7 am to 5 pm shift the next day. I live and work in the state of Iowa is there any laws governing the amount of time off between required shifts? Also my company charges us 4.50 per pack for any cigarettes that go missingg from our stores as payroll deductions. They also deduct all unexplained cash shortages from the managers pay but do not reimburse us for overages when the cash is over or the cigarette counts bounce back. Is this legal?

Answered on: 6/21/13, 5:59 am by Robert Luedeman

I think this is a job for the labor commissioner's office. I wasn't able to find any law on the subject but deducting money from your check because some thief steals from the store stinks to high heaven.

solo practitioner 2008 66th Street Windsor Heights, IA 50324