Legal Question in Appeals and Writs in Iowa

I want to start a petition to stop a radio controlled car race track from coming to a park that I live close to. A lot of the neighbors are unhappy about the possibility of this track being built in our neighborhood.

I don't know much about petitions so I just need some advice and information before I start one. My first question is how many signatures would I need in order for the petition to be taken seriously? Would I just need signatures from the people/residents that live in this neighborhood or could I also get signatures from other city residents that don't live close by this park? Do the people that sign the petition have to be registered voters? Would I need permission from the city to do this?

Asked on 7/26/13, 7:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I think you need to do a few things. First see what the applicable zoning laws are-I think that a park might have to be rezoned maybe. Second of all see whether your neighbors are interested in joining with you. It would probably help if you talked with the property owners who would be immediately affected by the new use for the park. Then you can proceed to marshal your arguments. Speculatives like 'well, it'll lower my property values!' or 'a bad class of people will be hanging around' or 'it's going to be too noisy' will not do in the absence of hard facts you can give the city council.

Read more
Answered on 7/26/13, 11:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Appeals and Writs questions and answers in Iowa

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now