Legal Question in Banking Law in Iowa

I made an error on my checkling account and covered it right away. However, because I made a deposit on a check written on one of my accounts to another account on the same day a check was clearing I was accused of kiting. I can undestand the banks concerned. The larger of the two bankks decided to close out my account. They coulodn't carwe less that I had made an honest mistake, The dollar amount of the concerned depost was arouind $1400.00. I offered to show them proof that the check I deposited was good at the time & had cleared but they didn't care. I'm fine with them closing me (I was planning on closing it out anyway since I can't seem to kep track of multiple accounts. Thj problem is I'm on 2 accounts with my parents at the same bank they are closing them out as well, which is their right, but they are holding over $12,000.00 of their money until the 15th including several months of their social security checks. Can they do this?

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

The only thing they can't hold is social security or pension or disability payments, if you can identify them.

More Banking Law questions and answers in Iowa

Banking Law Legal Forms