Iowa  |  Business Law

Expected service not received

I signed a 3 year contract for wireless internet service. At first, I could expect an average speed of 700 kbps as promised. Due to people abusing the service by downloading excessive amounts of music, software, etc., the service provider cut bandwidth to about 200 kbps with no warning. I have stopped service with this provider and now enjoy high speed access through other means. Now to the question:

The wireless service provider expects me to buy out my contract for the remaining time, (about 9 months). I think I should not have to pay them anything and should be reimbursed for fees I paid for their service after they cut bandwidth speed. I feel they did not live up to their end of the contract. Do I have a leg to stand on?? (This doesnít involve a great amount of money; itís the principle of the thing.)