Iowa  |  Criminal Law

The biological mother of my son (age 12) gave her narcotic pain prescription, Narco (acetaminophen and hydrocodone) to him five to six times for a sunburn. She is a nurse, and instead of taking him to the doctor, she contacted a physician she worked with in the past who instructed her on the dosage of the Narco she would give to a child with that age and weight and told her to cut the pills in half. Of note, this is a physician who has NEVER seen my son. No prescription was ever written to my son and my son was never seen by any physician over this period of time. Were there state and/or federal laws broken by the biological mother? Were their laws broken by the physician? If so, what avenues do you recommend I follow in reporting such crimes?

Answered on: 7/17/13, 8:06 am by Todd Miler

You could discuss this with a local police officer. They could conduct interviews and decide if a crime occurred or if a charge should be filed.

Miler Law Firm 1300 37th Street, Suite 4 West Des Moines, IA 50266