Legal Question in Criminal Law in Iowa

Hello, My girlfriend and I were called bt a sergent from the police station and wanted us to come in voluntarily to answer some questions.....about some so called "Bogus transactions" at a large retail storeback in dec jan and feb, I was told to not go in so I called him back and told him that he said the store did and investigation and have some evidence on us, and they did and investigation and no charges were ever filed it was handed over to the sergent for him to look at, and still no charges or warrant was issued , he told us he was turning everything over to the county prosecuting attorney, I believe thats what he said....and he or she was going to take a look at it and if they wanted to press any charges we would both get a letter in the mail with what they are charging us with and a court date,I have never heard of this being done....so what exactly is going on, ond over te phone we both asked are we under aresst and he said no. so can I get some advise on this please???

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

First of all don't answer any questions without an attorney. Second of all your attorney ought to be able to find out what is going on in an informal way. You don't want to kick a sleeping dog.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Iowa