Iowa  |  Criminal Law

I was recently arrested for disorderly conduct. I was drinking in the city, stepped in front of a car and flipped off the driver (immature decision). My court date is in a week in Des Moines Iowa. I'm currently living in Illinois. My question is, can I get out of this court date by submitting a guilty plea in absentee? Is it possible to get a deferred judgement without going to the court date?

Answered on: 6/17/13, 12:57 pm by Todd Miler

You would need to coordinate this ahead of time through the County Attorney's office either by calling them yourself or through an attorney if you have one. You may or may not get a call back if you wait until the last minute. They may be willing to go along with a deferred judgment but you would then need to immediately report to a room in the courthouse to sign up for probation, so if you want a deferred judgment you will need to appear in person.

Miler Law Firm 1300 37th Street, Suite 4 West Des Moines, IA 50266