Iowa  |  Criminal Law

retainer fees

i retained a lawyer a year ago for $5000. other than coach me on the questions the grand jury would be asking me, i ve gotten 3 letters of correspondence on my case from him, maybe 6 phone conversations also. ive received an application and order of dismisal of charges and arrest warrant from iowa district court for the county in which i live pursuant to rule 2.33(1) submitted by the county atty for reasons:to allow law enforcement to continue with the investigation to better prosecute the case. my question is do i still need representation since charges have been dropped or can i dismiss his services and insist on a itemized bill of his services hes provided thus far and insist on recovering the remainder of the monies i put up front for his minimal services put towards my case??

Answered on: 3/13/07, 9:50 am by Richard Phelps

Re: retainer fees

What makes you think the services of the attorney were minimal?

Phelps Law Office 201 S. Station Mingo, IA 50168

Answered on: 3/13/07, 9:55 am by Robert Luedeman

Re: retainer fees

It depends on whether the representation was flat fee or you paid in a retainer. If you have no further need of the attorney's services, by all means end the representation, get a bill, and pay what the attorney's worth.

solo practitioner 2008 66th Street Windsor Heights, IA 50324