Legal Question in Criminal Law in Iowa

Theft in the 5th degree

I have been charged with theft in the 5th degree. It is for stealing a $15 gift card from bestbuy and using it. I was an employee there and somehow accidently took it home and then found it and said to myself cool a giftcard and spent using my account at bestbuy. So I did have and use the giftcard but it was completly unintentional. What should I do at my arrainment? Plead guilty or innocent? Would I be able to get the charges thrown out if I can convice a judge it was an accident? I have no prior convictions of anything. All I have is 1 speeding ticket when I was 16. I'm not stupid if I were to steal something I would not use it and put my name address and phone number to it. It was a complete accident and I don't know what to do.

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

Re: Theft in the 5th degree

I'd suggest that you obtain a competent attorney to represent you. Although the consequences are minor and you are likely eligible for a deferrred judgment, this will follow you around for a long time unless you take steps to limit it.

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Iowa