Iowa  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/01/13, 7:49 pm

I was just in court with my ex. I filed contempt because he refuses to pay his 75% of our son's ortho bill. The judge did not rule in my favor stating that since my ex husband was not working from Jan to March he had no income to pay his portion. Anyway, the judge ruled that I must pay my ex husbands attorney fees since I lost the contempt case and my ex asked for his attorney fees to be paid. 1,500 total. I was told that there is a law in Iowa that states if you are the person filing for contempt the judge cannot award that you pay the other parties attorney fees. I saw this under 598.24 of the code of iowa. Is this true? Thanks!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search